Algebraic Number TheoryLior Silberman (University of British Columbia)
Jan 1, 2024 — Apr 30, 2024
About the course
This will be a standard graduate number theory course. Topics will include:
- Number fields, rings of integers, ideals and unique factorization. Finiteness of the class group.
- Valuations and completions; local fields.
- Ramification theory, the different and discriminant.
- Geometry of numbers: Dirichlet’s Unit Theorem. and discriminant bounds.
- Other topics if time permits
The main pre-requisites are basic algebra (rings and fields, rings of polynomials, unique factorization in Euclidean\ndomains), basic number theory (modular arithemtic, factorization into primes) and Galois Theory, but no specific courses are required.
This course is available for registration under the Western Dean's Agreement. To register, you must obtain the approval of the course instructor and you must complete the Western Dean's agreement form , using the details below. The completed form should be signed by your home institution department and school of graduate studies, then returned to the host institution of the course.
- Course Name
- Algebraic Number Theory
- Jan 1, 2024 — Apr 30, 2024
- Course Number
- MATH 535
- Section Number
- Section Code
University of British Columbia
For help with completing the Western Dean’s agreement form, please contact the graduate student program coordinator at your institution. For more information about the agreement, please see the Western Dean's Agreement website