Statistical Machine Learning for Data ScienceLi Xing (University of Saskatchewan)
Sep 1, 2023 — Dec 31, 2023
About the course
Based on a mathematical and statistical theory foundation, the course introduces statistical methods for supervised and unsupervised learning, focusing on hands-on skills with statistical software, R, and applications to real data. The course covers resampling methods, regression and classification, tree-based methods, dimension reduction and clustering. It embeds R training throughout the entire class.
This course is available for registration under the Western Dean's Agreement. To register, you must obtain the approval of the course instructor and you must complete the Western Dean's agreement form , using the details below. The completed form should be signed by your home institution department and school of graduate studies, then returned to the host institution of the course.
- Course Name
- Statistical Machine Learning for Data Science
- Sep 1, 2023 — Dec 31, 2023
- Course Number
- Stat 847
- Section Number
- Section Code
University of Saskatchewan
For help with completing the Western Dean’s agreement form, please contact the graduate student program coordinator at your institution. For more information about the agreement, please see the Western Dean's Agreement website
Other Course Details
- Lecture Section: Wednesday 6:00pm-9:00pm CST (online via zoom)
- Lab Section: Thursday 3:30pm-4:50pm CST (online via zoom for outside USask students, or onsite in a lab room to be announced).
- Office Hours: Friday 5:00pm-6:00pm CST, and by appointment (online via zoom, or onsite by appointment)
Please see the syllabus document for more details, including required reading, learning objective and evaluation components.